Delphic Sibyl as Fairie, From Sistine Chapel

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tree of Life


I recently had the pleasure of doing some new pieces that reflect the Tree of Life imagery. I did some research before and found that this symbol is very relevant to many cultures. I love the idea of an image that transcends language and speaks to a vast population of spiritual beliefs.
These first pieces were done for a cantorial concert at Temple Beth Tikvah in Roswell, Georgia. Their cantor, Nancy Kassel, is celebrating her Bat Mitzvah year there. In honor of her service to the congregation and the community, I thought I would do Trees of Life for Nancy and the other guest cantors. It is a way for me to personally say thank you and communicate what I think they do for others; I am learning how a cantor has a very unique and spiritual relationship to a congregation.